Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Waiting Game

I read a great post today on the BookEnds site. In it Jessica talks about being on the receiving end of the torture that I have read plagues most writers... waiting to hear from a prospect they've queried.

Although I haven't walked down this path yet, I love that there are stories like this out there. Basically Jessica, an agent, had to grin and bear it for several days as she waited to see if an author would choose her as their agent. Oh to be in such an enviable spot as this author. Apparently she had offers of representation by six agents, and she agonized over which to choose. Jessica apparently was the winner. Good for her. But the hidden author's story is what gives me great hope.

I read statistics every day about how hard it is to find an agent that wants to represent you. Miss Snark used to say that it is all about the writing, and if your writing is good enough you will get published, eventually. But there is always that nagging voice in the back of my head, "What if it is more than that? What if I have to have connections?"

Well apparently for this author it was all about the writing. Her query must have been great, her writing even better. She had SIX agents wanting to represent her!

So now I know that if I can't find an agent, it is not because there are too many hoops to jump through, or not because I didn't know the right people. It will be because my writing wasn't up to snuff. I find comfort in that for some reason.

No comments: