Thursday, April 16, 2009

Secret Agent Contest

I discovered a nifty site a month or so ago called, Miss Snark's First Victim. (For those who don't know who Miss Snark is, click here.) The blog author, who calls herself Authoress, runs a Secret Agent contest once a month. It goes something like this. She lines up an actual literary agent to agree to be her secret agent of the month. Then she gets 50 wannabe authors to send in their first 250 words from a completed manuscript. These first pages are posted on the site and then everyone has to critique at least 5 entries from the other authors.

Where the fun part comes in (as if that weren't fun enough) is the Secret Agent will also critique the entries, and in the end award some kind of prize. (request to submit, etc...) This sounded quite exciting to me, and so I submitted my first page for Noah Zarc. You can see all the wonderful feedback I've been getting here: http://misssnarksfirstvictim.blogspot.com/2009/04/20-secret-agent.html Although honestly I was hoping for more "This part doesn't work." statements so I could make it better, my ego also enjoys a "This really hooked me!" every now and again too.

The secret agent has yet to show herself, so it remains to be seen what a professional thinks of the opening. I can't wait to hear. Well, I guess I have to, but I don't have to like it.

No comments: